Monday, September 27, 2010

Local Natives

I've been listening to the Local Natives album Gorilla Manor a lot lately.  I don't know what it is that makes me routinely pick this album to listen to over the many others I've recently bought.  Maybe its the harmonies, maybe its the relatively upbeat songs, maybe its the fact that I can't get some of their songs out of my head but I really like it.  I haven't listened in the past week to the album, but I had their songs stuck in my head all day today.  Listening and comprehending lyrics is not my strong suit, ask any of my friends who has ridden in the car with me.  I do a lot of mumbling when singing along....  Typically my mind is thinking about all sorts of other things beside what the song is actually saying.  I don't know if that makes me a "bad" listener of music, but I tend to put my own thoughts / feelings to songs which are sometimes way off the point of what the songwriter intended.  Anyway, back to the Local Natives... so I had Airplanes stuck in my head all day today... not really the words but the melody of the chorus.  As I was doing my chores today, I decided to throw the album on again and actually listened to the lyrics of  Airplanes.... what I thought was a love song turns out to be about the singer's grandfather.  Its weird how sometimes songs will take on an entirely new meaning to you after a random listen.  I'm not gong to bore you with the relationships that I had/have with my grandparents, but it got me thinking that I really need to take more of an effort to get to know them - even the one with the killer breath - if you're lucky enough to still have your grandparents around don't take them for granted.... also, listen to more songs from this album.  If you like Guster, you're going to like these guys. http://www.myspace.com/localnatives

No comments:

Post a Comment